Applying for a Concealed Handgun License (CHL)
We will walk you through every step of the application process. We recommend using the DPS Online Application, but there is also a print version available. The CHL class may be taken either before or after your application is submitted with DPS. You have up to two years to apply for your license after taking the class (six months for renewals).
What you’ll need to get a CHL:
- Complete and submit the CHL Application through DPS (available online here). Again, this may be done either before or after your class.
- State application fee sent to DPS. For most people, this is $140. If applying online, this may be paid by credit or debit card. There are discounts for active duty or recently discharged military and veterans, for people who can show indigence/poverty, and for several categories of people who work in our legislative and law enforcement systems. The discounted fees range from $0-70, depending on category.
- Supplemental papers specific to your application submitted to DPS if they’re necessary. Examples include a DD-214 if claiming a military discount, proof of poverty if claiming an indigency discount, or court disposition records if you have a previous arrest. Once you submit your application, you will get a checklist of required items.
- Two passport-sized photos of yourself. At Sheepdog CHL, we provide these for you so you don’t have to hassle with another step.
- Completed and submitted fingerprints through an L-1 Identity Solutions site. (This is required even if you already have fingerprints or background checks on file with the state.) You’ll be able to schedule this at your convenience after your application is submitted. This does not have to be done before taking the class.
- CHL class by a licensed CHL instructor that meets the statutory minimums. (That’s what Sheepdog CHL provides.) After the successful completion of the class, Sheepdog CHL will give you a CHL-100 class completion form which you’ll send to DPS.
- Range proficiency test, except for those who are exempt such as military and some people who work for the legislative system. This is done during class.
- Once everything needed is mailed to DPS, allow 30-90 days for processing and background checks to be completed. You’ll receive your license in the mail, then you may carry as a licensed Concealed Handgun Licensee. (Most licenses are being received within 30-45 days right now.)
If you have any questions or concerns about the application process, don’t hesitate to contact us.